Call to Action: Help Us Determine the Current Status of Facial Misbranding of Gluten-Free Foods on Store Shelves
Please help us assess the current labeling status of gluten-free foods previously reported to FDA for facial misbranding (i.e., food is labeled gluten-free but lists an ingredient not allowed under the FDA’s gluten-free labeling rule).
The next time you are shopping for food, please check store shelves for the products listed below. In the relatively recent past these products have included a gluten-free claim on their packaging and named in the ingredients list an ingredient not allowed under FDA’s gluten-free labeling rule (this may have changed but we need a status update). This is especially important to do if you are shopping at a brick and mortar store with a Washington, DC address—a store in FDA’s backyard.
- Chef Myron’s Sauces
- Chef Myron’s sauces have previously listed as an ingredient, “naturally aged shoyu (water, soybeans, wheat, salt).”
- The Bamboo Chef Fried Rice Seasoning Mix
- The Bamboo Chef Fried Rice Seasoning Mix has previously listed as an ingredient, “soy sauce powder (soybeans, wheat).”
- Natural Value Pale Ale Mustard
- Natural Value Pale Ale Mustard has previously listed as an ingredient, “organic beer.”
- Holland House Malt Vinegar
- Holland House Malt Vinegar has previously been labeled gluten-free.
- Cabela’s Soup Mix Beer Cheese
- Cabela’s Soup Mix Beer Cheese has previously listed beer as an ingredient with malted barley included in the sub-ingredients list.
If you come across one of these products on a store shelf and it is still labeled gluten-free and the ingredients list still names the offending ingredient, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
1. Store name
2. Store address
3. Date you spotted the product
4. Photo of the gluten-free claim
5. Photo of the ingredients list
Findings will help inform next steps to facilitate removal of facially misbranded products from store shelves. Findings also will be shared with the FDA.