Dear FDA, Please provide an update on our citizen petition asking for increased enforcement of misbranding violations under the gluten-free labeling rule
In honor of Celiac Disease Awareness Month 2018,
A series of bites, barks, tail wags, face licks, and pant tugs from Gluten Free Watchdog
May 4, 2018
Gluten Free Watchdog Bark (at FDA) & Pant Tug (at consumers), Post # 4
Please watch the video and then read the recommendations below.
It is important for all of us to document potential misbranding violations. Please do the following if you come across a product either in the store or after purchase that you believe is misbranded:
- Take photos of the label that clearly show:
- Product name
- Gluten-free claim
- Ingredients list
- Contains statement if present
- Wording about gluten-free status printed after the Contains statement
- The sell by/best by/use by/expiration date
- Lot number
- UPC code (very important to photograph)
- Send the photos to me (Tricia) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In your email include the name of the store and its location
- Contact an FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator using the list available at https://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaProblem/ConsumerComplaintCoordinators/
- Chronicle your experience with the FDA—Did someone answer the phone? Did you leave a message? Did someone call you back? Were you satisfied with the exchange?
- Contact me (Tricia) again and let me know about your experience with FDA. If you decided not to call the Agency, let me know that too!