General Mills Proposed Gluten Friendly Line
UPDATE February 12, 2020: Thank you so much to everyone who emailed and posted comments. Comments were sent to General Mills today.
Their response: “Thank you for sharing this information. I will be forwarding it on to the team that is working on the concept. I think it is also important for you to know that based on all of the feedback we received from the gluten free community, we removed the images from our website as we reevaluate the entire concept. We appreciate all of the feedback that we have received on this topic.”
Yesterday morning (Feb 5) I woke up to messages about a gluten-friendly line from General Mills. This proposed line includes biscuit mix, brownie mix, frozen biscuit dough, and frozen baked brownies. Admittedly, I hit the proverbial roof, writing on Twitter:
As messages continued to pour in and there was some confusion about this product line (including on my end), I sent an email to a contact at General Mills to get the scoop. This is a summary of the information provided:
1. These products are not currently available; they are a concept in development.
2. Product photos, packaging, and labeling are mock-ups.
3. General Mills occasionally posts products online that they are looking to develop to determine if there is enough interest from their customers to proceed with the product.
4. If they move forward, these products would only be available through their Convenience Stores & Food Service division. They would not be available for retail sale.
5. The Convenience Stores & Food Service division includes restaurants, hospitals, senior living facilities and other food service providers throughout the country.
6. They asked to hear my concerns and questions (which I have since provided). I was advised that these concerns are appreciated and being shared with the team.
7. It was stressed that General Mills is not sure if this product line will move forward.
Folks, this is the time to make noise but in an organized fashion that we know will be heard by General Mills and shared with the appropriate team.
I am more than happy to compile comments and send them to General Mills. My proposal is for anyone with concerns to post your comments here on Gluten Free Watchdog. If you don’t want to write something publicly, please send an email (email@example.com). I will cut and paste comments into one document and send them on their way.
Let’s make some noise!