Gluten-free consumers, if something about a packaged gluten-free food doesn’t look right, report it!
In honor of Celiac Disease Awareness Month 2018,
A series of bites, barks, tail wags, face licks, and pant tugs from Gluten Free Watchdog
May 3, 2018
Gluten Free Watchdog Pant Tug, Post # 3
Gluten-free consumers, if something about a packaged gluten-free food doesn’t look right, report it! The recent recall of Van’s “gluten-free” waffles happened thanks to consumers speaking up—first to Van’s Foods and then to the FDA when the response from the manufacturer was less than stellar.
Packaging errors sometimes happen. At Gluten Free Watchdog we’ve been contacted about gluten-free pasta that included errant pieces that were a different shape and color. We’ve been contacted numerous times about errant grains in various bags of legumes. And we’ve been contacted about “gluten-free” pretzels that simply “did not look right”. The pretzels sent to us by the consumer, tested at over 58,000 parts per million of gluten. To read more about these issues see https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/snyders-of-hanover-annies-and-all-gluten-free-manufacturers-what-is-your-protocol-for-addressing-consumer-complaints/ and https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/?s=lentil
If something similar happens to you—you open a gluten-free product and it doesn’t look right–please consider taking the following steps:
- Contact the manufacturer
- If you are asked to return the remaining product, make sure the manufacturer puts in writing that they will test the sample for gluten, advise you of the results, and retain any remaining sample
- Do not send the entire product back to the manufacturer
- Put a small amount in a clearly marked unused zip-lock bag
- Take photos of the product packaging and the product, including the lot number, best by date, and UPC code
- Contact your local FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator
- A listing is available at https://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaProblem/ConsumerComplaintCoordinators/
- If you have any difficulties, contact Gluten Free Watchdog for help at firstname.lastname@example.org