Oats produced under a gluten-free purity protocol: Listing of suppliers and manufacturers
UPDATED OCTOBER 21, 2022: All suppliers of single ingredient purity protocol oats and manufacturers/brands using purity protocol oats in their single ingredient oat products in this listing have updated their information. Please keep in mind that there is no standardized definition for purity protocol oats. Please read the purity protocols for all suppliers.
Inclusion in this listing does not constitute endorsement from Gluten Free Watchdog. Information has been provided by the suppliers and manufacturers. Gluten Free Watchdog has not necessarily tested the products listed here for gluten cross contact.
This listing is provided as a convenience to those consumers who wish to purchase single ingredient oat products from suppliers/manufacturers who source oats grown under a gluten-free purity protocol. Please contact the manufacturers directly to ask about their finished product testing protocols and their handling procedures for purity protocol oats (e.g., steps taken to prevent cross-contact with wheat, barley, and rye once in the hands of the manufacturer).
SUPPLIERS: If you would like to be included in this listing, please send an email to: (firstname.lastname@example.org). To be included in the listing your email must:
- Describe your purity protocol (see examples below from other suppliers).
- Provide information on your testing protocol.
MANUFACTURERS/BRANDS: If you sell single ingredient oat products and would like to be included in this listing, please send an email to: (email@example.com). To be included in the listing your email must state:
- That all oats used in your labeled gluten-free products are sourced from a supplier of oats produced following a gluten-free purity protocol*.
- The name of your oat supplier(s).
- Your supplier(s) must be included in the listing below.
*Note: Until further notice, Gluten Free Watchdog does not recommend GF Harvest as a source of purity protocol oats. This supplier has been removed from the listing. For more information, please see https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/gluten-free-watchdog-no-longer-recommends-gf-harvest-as-a-source-of-purity-protocol-oats/
NORTH AMERICAN SUPPLIERS OF PURITY PROTOCOL OATS
Information updated and confirmed October 14, 2022
Avena Foods was the pioneer in sourcing and processing gluten-free oat ingredients and continues its industry-leading role through its Start Clean Stay Clean Avena Purity Protocol system. Rigorous controls and testing for gluten start even before farmers plant their crop. At Avena’s Grower School, Purity Protocol requirements are explained and best farming practices are shared. Strict quality control continues throughout all farm operations, transportation and processing at Avena’s plant to ensure Avena-sourced gluten-free oat ingredients are safe for all consumers.
- Website: http://avenafoods.com/
- Oat ingredient supplier to manufacturers. Ingredients are available ready-to-eat or ready-to-cook, certified organic and conventional, non-GMO. (Extra-Fine Oat Flour, Fine Grind Oat Flour, Toasted Oat Flour, Whole Oat Flour, Quick-Cooking Oats/Baby Oats, Rolled Oats, Granola Rolled Oats, Hefty Oat Flakes, Steel Cut Oats, Oat Groats).
- GFCO-certified Avena Purity Protocol Oat Ingredients are guaranteed <5ppm of gluten, with the exception of flour <10ppm.
- Growers attend workshops to learn the requirements for growing gluten-free oats and to share their experience.
- Selected growers are contracted in advance.
- Contracted growers use only pure pedigreed seed.
- Fields used to grow contracted gluten-free oats are:
- Required to follow specified crop rotation protocol
- Surrounded by an isolation strip
- Inspected by CFIA trained third-party inspectors
- All machinery and equipment used by contracted growers is either thoroughly cleaned or dedicated.
- Oats are checked for
- Purity (visual)
- Field cleanliness (inspection)
- Pre-cleaned Harvest sample (one to Avena office and one to third-party accredited lab)
- Cleaned sample (one to Avena office and one to third party accredited lab)
- Sampling at time of receiving (trailer inspection for cleanliness, trailer seals, and sampling for gluten per hopper)
- Oats are processed in a GFCO certified dedicated gluten-free facility.
- A lot is a day’s production. Each tote milled within that lot is sampled for gluten. If a tote fails, shoulder totes are retested.
- Finished oat ingredients are tested for Gluten using R5 ELISA methodology by a third-party accredited lab.
Montana Gluten-Free Processors
Information reconfirmed October 6, 2022
- Website: http://www.montanaglutenfree.com/shop/
- Certified by both GFCO and GFFP
- Consumer oat products include (available in both conventional and organic):
- Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix
- Gluten-Free Raw Oatmeal
- Gluten-Free Oat Bran
- Gluten-Free Oat Groats
- Gluten-Free Cream of Oats
- Gluten-Free Toasted Oat Bread Mix
- Gluten-Free Waffle Pancake Mix
- Gluten-Free Toasted Oat Flour
- Gluten-Free Raw Oat Flour
- Gluten-Free Sprouted Oat Groats
- Gluten-Free Oat Malt
- Ingredient supplier to manufacturers
- Gluten-free purity protocol:
- Oats are planted only on fields that have not grown gluten grains for 4 years
- Pure gluten free seed is planted
- Fields are hand rogued to eliminate any possible contamination
- The grower is responsible for rogueing
- Each field is inspected by a Montana Gluten Free inspector prior to harvest to assure that the rogueing was thorough and the field is clean
- Oats are harvested and transported in certified clean dedicated equipment
- The combines are inspected and each grower has been trained to clean equipment
- Oats are processed in a dedicated gluten-free facility
- Redundant ELISA R5 testing is conducted before and after processing (since 2012 Montana Gluten-Free also uses the ELISA G12)
Bay State Milling – Saskatoon: Purity Protocol Oats
Information updated on October 17, 2022
- Website: https://baystatemilling.com/purity-protocol-gluten-free-oats/
- MGM Seed & Grain ULC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Bay State Milling Company.
- Purity Protocol Oat products including Rolled Oats, Groats, Steel Cut, Quick Oats, Oat flour.
- B2B – supplier to manufacturers.
- Product Gluten-free status is delivered by following the Purity Protocol standard and monitored through inline sample inspections and color sorters at two different stages (Oat cleaning & Oat dehulling). This monitoring is performed with extensive Purity Protocol visual testing by trained professionals and verified by chemical testing of the finished product.
- Select growers are trained individually through one-on-one meetings for growing Purity Protocol oats.
- Saskatoon has a supplier approval program; approved suppliers are contracted in advance.
- Only pure pedigreed seed is used.
- Fields used to grow Purity Protocol Oats are:
- Required to follow specified crop rotation protocol. Producers are required to have a minimum of three years following the harvest of glutinous crops prior to seeding Purity Protocol Oats.
- Surrounded by an isolation strip.
- Inspected by trained inspectors.
- All machinery and equipment is either thoroughly cleaned or dedicated.
- Oats are processed in a dedicated gluten-free facility.
- All incoming raw oats, cleaned lots and finished product is tested using GFCO approved methodology:
- Field audit for Gluten-free Purity Protocol.
- Pre-cleaned Harvest sample testing before purchase.
- Sampling and inspection at time of receiving (trailer inspection for cleanliness, trailer seals, and sampling for gluten per hopper) following Purity Protocol.
- Visual testing every hour (at minimum) on each of two inline color sorters for glutenous grain inspection and rejection system.
- Oats are checked for purity (visual) during various steps throughout the process- receiving, cleaning, dehulling.
- Each finished product lot is tested throughout the run for gluten. This testing is done using the Romer Agra Strip Gluten G12- AOAC Lic. No. 061403 method or the R-Biopharm R5 ELISA Ridascreen Gliadin method (Art Nr. R7001 test kits – AOAC Lic. No. 120601) depending on specific customer requirements. Any lot with >5ppm gluten is held and a root cause analysis is performed.
- As verification step, every month, one lot (minimum) is selected for additional gluten testing. Every pallet/tote within that lot is tested for gluten using the R-Biopharm R5 ELISA Ridascreen Gliadin method (Art Nr. R7001 test kits – AOAC Lic. No. 120601). If any single pallet tests >5ppm gluten, the entire lot is is held and a root cause analysis is performed. At initial stage of MGM’s commissioning process, the gluten results (Purity Protocol testing, inspections & chemical testing after cleaning process) were validated by testing more than 300 samples using R-Biopharm R5 ELISA Ridascreen Gliadin method (Art Nr. R7001 test kits – AOAC Lic. No. 120601).
- Gluten testing is done by a third-party accredited lab pursuant to customer request. At the commissioning of the mill, third-party accredited labs were used to validate and verify our internal protocols and procedures. MGM participates in annual proficiency testing with third-party accredited labs.
- All gluten testing results are submitted to our certifying body for review each quarter, and we have an audit for compliance each year. All Purity Protocol finished product is guaranteed to have <5ppm gluten.
This listing includes manufacturers selling single ingredient purity protocol gluten-free oat products to consumers. Please note that Montana Gluten-Free (listed above) also sells purity protocol oats directly to consumers.
Information updated via email on October 4, 2022
- Website: https://shop.gfjules.com/collections/oats
- Sells Purity Protocol Certified Gluten-Free Oats from Gluten-Free Prairie
Information reconfirmed via email on October 18, 2022
- Website: http://glutenfreeprairie.com/
- All oat products are made using oats from Montana Gluten-Free Processors and Avena Foods
- Single ingredient product list includes:
- Gluten-Free Prairie Toasted Oatmeal
- Gluten-Free Prairie Toasted Oat Flour
- Gluten-Free Prairie Groats
- All Gluten-Free Prairie products are available in bulk
Bakery on Main
Information updated and confirmed on October 26, 2022
- Website: https://bakeryonmain.com/
- All oats used in labeled gluten-free products are sourced from suppliers of oats produced following a gluten-free purity protocol.
- This supplier is Avena Foods (IMPORTANT: look for a best before date of June 2023 and later)
- Single ingredient product list containing purity protocol oats:
- Happy Oats (Quick, Rolled and Steel Cut)
- Organic Happy Oats (Quick, Rolled and Steel Cut)
Information reconfirmed October 5, 2022
- Website: https://www.grainful.com/
- All oats purchased for Grainful frozen meals, which are GFCO certified are sourced from a supplier of oats produced following a gluten-free purity protocol.
- This supplier is Avena
- All oats purchased for Grainful Rolled Oats, which are labeled gluten-free are sourced from a supplier of oats produced following a gluten-free purity protocol.
- This supplier is MGM Seed & Grain.Purity Protocol Oats.
- All oats purchased for our Grainful Rolled Oats – Hulless Oats, which are labeled gluten-free are sourced from a supplier of oats produced following a gluten-free purity protocol.
- This supplier is Montana Gluten-Free via Bay State Milling.
- All whole red lentils for our Grainful Whole Red Lentils, which are labeled gluten-free are sourced from a supplier of oats produced following a gluten-free purity protocol.
- This supplier is Kroeger Farms.
- Single ingredient product list containing purity protocol products (oats and lentils):
- Grainful rolled oats labeled gluten-free
- Grainful rolled oats-hulless oats labeled gluten-free
- Grainful whole red lentils labeled gluten-free
For those of you outside of North America, a possible source of purity protocol oats:
Glanbia Nutritionals’ OatPure™ Gluten-Free Oats
Information reconfirmed and updated on October 23, 2022
- Website: https://www.glanbianutritionals.com/en/news-resources/news/oatpuretm
- Licensed by Coeliac UK and the Coeliac Society of Ireland to carry the crossed grain symbol
- Glanbia does not sell directly to the consumer; they are an ingredient supplier to manufacturers
- For information on their purity protocol see https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/glanbia-gluten-free-oats-another-source-of-purity-protocol-oats/