Oats Revisited: Quaker Gluten-Free Oats

Oats Revisited: Quaker Gluten-Free Oats

Due in large part to data published in the public domain by Quaker, the celiac disease community continues to learn about the nature of gluten grain cross contact in oats, including that:

Based on Gluten Free Watchdog’s social media accounts, this information is causing concern among folks in the celiac disease community. At Gluten Free Watchdog we are inviting various oat suppliers to provide information about how they are addressing the issue of errant gluten-containing grain in oats. Information will be posted as it is provided.

Quaker is up first…

What is Quaker doing to address these issues? Quaker provided the following graphic to Gluten Free Watchdog to help explain their process (clicking on the image at the top of the post will enlarge it for better viewing):

To help put the above information into some context, in January of 2019, the Gluten-Free Certification Organization instituted a new requirement for intact gluten-free oats. Processors must use an appropriate sampling method and visual inspection to demonstrate that oats contain less than 0.25 gluten-containing grains per kilogram (threshold of 1 gluten containing grain in 100, 40-gram servings). See https://gfco.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/JAOAC-Oat-Count-Paper.pdf

Question for the community:

• What represents tolerable risk to you, the consumer?

Comments (8)

• Yemin Liu Reply

There was an informative Letter to the Editor of Journal of AOAC in response to Gluten-Free Certification Organization’s new requirements gluten-free oats.

Manufacture of Gluten Free Oats for Gluten Compliance at the Serving Level: An Attainable Industrial Standard

May 1, 2019 at 6:45 pm
    • Tricia Thompson Reply

Yes, thanks for posting the link. For those of you interested in reading the letter, it can be downloaded free of charge at the link provided.

May 1, 2019 at 6:58 pm
  • Angelica Reply

To answer your question, I feel much better about using Purity Protocol oats than I do about ordinary oats and even just plain certified GF oats. I also prefer my oats to be organic.

So I’m not sure what to think now. Are you saying that Purity Protocol isn’t any better than certified gluten free? I thought it was. Are you reversing your view on that? Is PP not something to look for anymore?

That article raised several red flags for me. It’s by Pepsico, and it says things I disagree with right in the first two paragraphs of the Introduction! I don’t think we should take that “study” seriously. It’s misleading to say that nutritional deficiency is a side effect of the GFD when it’s a direct effect of the disease itself. And they claim it leads to less dietary diversity, but GF flour uses at least 3 kinds of flours plus 1 or 2 gums and often increases the number of eggs a person eats as part of their bread. So that’s total bunk, both diversity and nutrition aspects are improved by GFD. They also focus on servings, not 100g measures. When I compare foods, especially for nutrition, I use 100g so food can be compared mass to mass. When you get into servings, it gets too messy. I don’t think I want the advice of a snack producer on the health of my diet. My “marketing with science “alarm went off.

May 2, 2019 at 5:25 pm
    • Tricia Thompson Reply

At Gluten Free Watchdog we continue to be supportive of purity protocol oats from the following suppliers: GF Harvest, Avena, Montana Gluten-Free, and Glanbia. We are not opposed to the use of Quaker gluten-free oats but are not supportive of the use of any other mechanically or optically sorted oats.

Quaker/Pepsico has published several articles in the peer reviewed scientific literature. These studies should not be dismissed out of hand but read carefully. This research has contributed greatly to our understanding of the nature of gluten cross contact in oats. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814616312614 and http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ijfs.13288/full. These articles are also discussed at https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/quaker-researchers-publish-a-second-study-highlighting-the-difficulties-associated-with-testing-oats-for-gluten-contamination/ and https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/must-read-study-courtesy-quaker-testing-oats-gluten/

The situation with oats is quite “messy” right now. What is true is that gluten containing grains have been found in both purity protocol and sorted oats. This is not surprising.

May 2, 2019 at 5:34 pm
      • Angelica Reply

Thank you Tricia, for clarifying that PP Oats are still the right way to go. But I’ll agree to disagree on science published by corporations on their own products. I did take issue with specific things they said in the study, I wasn’t dismissing it out of hand. Their goal is still to produce products in the most profitable way possible within regulatory limits, while my goal is to not be the one who happens to eat the 1 in 20,000 servings that are unsafe. Actually I’m one of the more sensitive people to gluten so for me it’s probably 1 in (fewer) servings.

In general, I think what agricultural studies lack is the element of finances. How do we make farming oats exclusively so profitable for farmers and the rest of the supply chain, that it de-incentivizes the planting of wheat int he same areas? Sometimes studies are meant to be so “purely science” that that question is studiously ignored. But if we are to be confident buying and using oats, then it has to be answered. People who need allergen free food, or gluten free food shouldn’t be expected to take a health risk because science ignores finances.

And this is only going to get worse until it’s solved because of the allergen lawsuits. A college that offers a gluten free cafeteria or options will have a hard time explaining why the oatmeal makes students sick. This isn’t just an issue of farming or of 1% of the population.

I don’t have all the answers. But a new idea needs to develop. Maybe the subsidy structure needs to change. Or combinations of crops that support farmer profits can be developed. I’d be fine with a farmer who rotates soybeans and oats. But if you add a gluten grain to that mix, it ruins it for me. Can sorghum be a replacement for barley? Maybe, if more beer producers use it. Or can more farmers adopt gluten free methods of producing mushrooms? Is that profitable enough to compensate for the loss of gluten grains? I wish I had the answers. I don’t want farmers and colleges to get hurt because I can’t eat something. I’m still looking for the win-win scenario.

May 3, 2019 at 2:51 pm
        • Tricia Thompson Reply

Like it or not everyone must understand that errant gluten-containing grain has been found in both purity protocol and sorted oats. Errant grain has also been found rather extensively in lentils. My guess is, if we studied other naturally gluten-free grains as extensively as we’ve studied oats, we’d find errant grain there as well. I could go on and on about oats and cross-contact with wheat, barley, and rye as it is something I’ve studied since 2004. I’ve had more conversations about oats with suppliers, farmers, etc than on any other topic. My responsibility is to look (with an unbiased eye) at the totality of the information I’m privy to (both on the record and off) and provide my best recommendation on oat consumption as it relates to folks with celiac disease. This recommendation is fluid (and it may not always be popular).

May 3, 2019 at 3:35 pm
  • Jamie Morgan Reply

Interesting, thanks for the info. I am so sensitive, I find I cannot eat anything that is not a single ingredient item. But I still have trouble with rice, and packaged foods somewhat. I have found if I only fresh fruits and veggies, and meat I feel the best. It’s nice to know I am not crazy for feeling I am reacting to oats, and other possible things.

May 9, 2019 at 9:42 pm
    • Tricia Thompson Reply

Hi Jamie, Have you met with a dietitian specializing in celiac disease? If you need a recommendation, please let me know.

May 10, 2019 at 12:18 pm