Statement from Gluten Free Watchdog on Nabisco Gluten-Free Oreo Cookies

Statement from Gluten Free Watchdog on Nabisco Gluten-Free Oreo Cookies

***Note: What follows is the opinion of Gluten Free Watchdog. Whether or not you choose to eat gluten-free Oreo cookies is your decision. You do not owe anyone an explanation. Please make decisions based on all available information.***

Nabisco Gluten-Free Oreo Cookies: Gluten Free Watchdog is on the fence about this cookie. We have tested numerous packages and test results are very encouraging. We love that the actual cookie includes a gluten-free imprint. This is brilliant. This product is also certified gluten-free by GFCO*. According to the manufacturer, Oreo cookies are made with GFCO certified gluten-free oats and manufactured in a GFCO certified facility. However, despite repeated inquiries, Nabisco will not answer a simple question about their oats–are they sorted or purity protocol? In the opinion of Gluten Free Watchdog, it is very problematic when a manufacturer refuses to disclose the source of their oats. This is less about their choice of oats (sorted versus purity protocol) and much more about their unwillingness to be completely transparent with a community of folks with celiac disease and gluten-related disorders

*To read a statement from GFCO along with Gluten Free Watchdog’s updated position on oats, see https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/oats-are-complicated-updated-position-statement-on-oats-from-gluten-free-watchdog/

Comments (11)

• Kathleen Reinhold

I am very sensitive to anything containing gluten and have eaten both the gf oreo and gf double stuffed oreo with no side effects, They are delicious and I am thrilled that the OREO people have created this wonderful treat for the celiac community.

March 28, 2021 at 5:27 pm
  • Angy lynn Reply

I tried the gf Oreos on a five day stint of only eating at home. The results? There’s gluten in there. I should’ve looked at the ingredients first. I usually do but didn’t this time. It’s a trace amount but it’s there and gave me all my classic symptoms of trace amounts of
    Gluten. I have celiacs and am hypersensitive to gluten.

April 24, 2021 at 12:41 pm
    • Tricia Thompson Reply

All 24 samples tested below the lower limit of quantification of 5 parts per million of gluten.

April 29, 2021 at 2:47 pm
    • Susan Reply

I reacted to the gluten free Oreos as well.

May 10, 2021 at 9:48 am
  • Jayline fields Reply

Meee tooo!!!! I am having bad allergic reaction to them- has to be in the oat flour- not sure but sad to see them leave my pantry… (edited).

May 15, 2021 at 10:37 pm
  • A Reply

There’s definitely gluten in the cookies. Caused the worst abdominal pain I’ve ever experienced. Sucks…

May 28, 2021 at 7:07 pm
    • Shirann Reply

Me too ya’ll. I couldn’t wait to try these, but am disappointed. There is gluten in there. I have been eating at home and nothing new but these. Am in the throes if a reaction. Buyer beware

September 30, 2021 at 9:42 pm
  • Robert noble Reply

Gluten is in there. My body reacts instantly

July 1, 2021 at 8:00 pm
  • Linda Reply

I have celiac and have eaten lots of gluten free Oreos. I have not had any reaction. Love the double stuff. Wish they would make the golden Oreos gluten free.

July 15, 2021 at 11:00 pm
  • Jessica Reply

There’s definitely gluten in these. I only ate one per day and not every day. Over the course of two weeks I ate about six cookies. I had no noticible reaction. BUT I had my stool tested around the time I was eating these, and the Anti-gliadin SigA was high! I’m on a gluten-free, almost grain-free diet. These are literally the only thing that could’ve caused such a reaction. The only other grain-containing item I was eating at the time was gluten-free hamburger buns, about 1-2 per week. I was eating those the last time my stool was tested months ago and the Anti-gliadin SigA was low that time. These cookies are the culprit!

August 12, 2021 at 10:47 am
  • Shelley LeBlanc Reply

Gluten in in there. After five cookies, my body reacted the way it normally does. Very disappointed and to find out on top of that they’re not disclosing where their oats come from is putting a lot of us at risk.

October 3, 2021 at 4:20 am