GF CHEERIOS: COMBINED DATA/SUMMARY STATEMENT
The following report on GF CHEERIOS: COMBINED DATA/SUMMARY STATEMENT will inform you of the amount of gluten found in this product during testing.
General Product Information
Manufacturer: General Mills
Gluten Free Watchdog tested 5 boxes of gluten-free Original Yellow Box Cheerios, 2 boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios, and 1 box of Multi-Grain Cheerios (these boxes are not part of the Cheerios recall). Some boxes of Original Yellow Box Cheerios and Honey Nut Cheerios tested by GFWD are contaminated with low levels of gluten. This contamination varies by box. Gluten contamination within each box of Cheerios is difficult to evenly distribute. This uneven distribution and heterogeneous test results may be due to:
· The oat flour and/or oat bran used as ingredients in Cheerios containing gluten that is not evenly distributed. This hypothesis is consistent with data shared by General Mills with GFWD (a single sample of oat flour tested by General Mills had widely divergent test results ranging from less than 5 ppm gluten to well over 20 ppm gluten).
· The highly processed nature of the final product cereal—heat treated and extruded—which may make it difficult to accurately asssess this cereal for gluten.
Recommendations for General Mills:
· Increased efforts should be made to remove gluten contamination from oats.
· Increased efforts should be made to homogenize (evenly distribute) any gluten contamination in oat flour.
· Oat flour and oat bran used in Cheerios/Honey Nut Cheerios should be tested using the fully validated Ridascreen Gliadin R5 ELISA (R7001).
Gluten Free Watchdog position on gluten-free Cheerios:
Gluten Free Watchdog recommends that individuals with celiac disease and other gluten-related disorders not eat gluten-free Cheerios. This position will remain in effect until we are notified by General Mills that:
· They are testing oat flour and final product Cheerios using the R7001 assay.
· They are testing individual boxes of Cheerios and not relying on a "lot mean" to determine whether final product Cheerios contain less than 20 ppm gluten (all extractions from all boxes should test below 20 ppm gluten).
Test Report Summary
Report Date: 11/18/2015
Summary Findings for Cheerios
Assay Used: R5 ELISA (R7001) with cocktail extraction or GEB extraction (lower limit of quantification 5 ppm gluten)
Note: Results using the GEB extraction solution are provided for informational purposes only to demonstrate the variations in results that may occur when different extraction solutions are used (please see the spice report for an in-depth explanation of extraction solutions).
Lab: Bia Diagnostics (www.biadiagnostics.com)
Sample Assay/Extraction Results (ppm gluten)
Entire box homogenized first via a blender and then through a coffee grinder
Cheerios Yellow Box 1 R5/Cocktail* 7.3, < 5, 5.1
Cheerios Yellow Box 1 R5/GEB** < 5, 9.6, < 5
Cheerios Yellow Box 2 R5/Cocktail 5.5, 7.0, 5.9
Cheerios Yellow Box 2 R5/GEB < 5, < 5, < 5
Cheerios Yellow Box 3 R5/Cocktail 5.2, 5.5, < 5
Cheerios Yellow Box 3 R5/GEB < 5, 5.5, 12.1
Representative sample homogenized to a fine powder
Cheerios Yellow Box 4 R5/Cocktail 6.1, < 5
Cheerios Yellow Box 4 R5/GEB < 5, < 5
Cheerios Yellow Box 5 R5/Cocktail 17.8, < 5
Cheerios Yellow Box 5 R5/GEB 24.5, 9.1
Cheerios Yellow Box 5
(sample re-homogenized) R5/Cocktail < 5, < 5
Honey Nut Cheerios Box 1 R5/Cocktail < 5, < 5
Honey Nut Cheerios Box 1 R5/GEB < 5, < 5
Honey Nut Cheerios Box 2 R5/Cocktail 11.2, < 5
Honey Nut Cheerios Box 2 R5/GEB < 5, 5.1
Honey Nut Cheerios Box 2
(sample re-homogenized) R5/Cocktail 12.5, < 5
Multi-Grain Cheerios Box 1 R5/Cocktail < 5, < 5
Multi-Grain Cheerios Box 2 R5/GEB < 5, 5.2
*Cocktail extraction: Validated extraction solution for the Ridascreen Gliadin R5 ELISA
**GEB: Gliadin Extraction Buffer--ethanol with fish gelatin and PVP (The GEB has not been validated by R-biopharm for use with the Ridascreen Gliadin R5 ELISA).
© Novemeber 18, 2015 By Gluten Free Watchdog, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Test results may be used for personal use only. Results may not be reposted, reprinted, republished, or paraphrased without the express written permission of Gluten Free Watchdog, LLC
Test results provide a snapshot picture of the gluten content of this product at one point in time. There is no way of knowing without testing many more samples whether the results of the samples tested are representative of the gluten content of this product as a whole.
Complete Test Results
No test results released at this time.