Product Quality Control Issues
The following report on Product Quality Control Issues will inform you of the amount of gluten found in this product during testing.
General Product InformationManufacturer: Multiple
Earlier this month Gluten Free Watchdog tested a pretzel product. A bag of gluten-free pretzel rods was filled instead with mini pretzel twists.
We were alerted to this quality control issue by the National Celiac Assocation. A concerned consumer reached out to NCA for help. A sample of pretzels was sent to Gluten Free Watchdog for testing. The consumer also contacted the manufacturer.
Test Report Summary
Report Date: 10/01/2019
The pretzels tested below the lower limit of quantification for the assay used of 5 parts per million of gluten.
At Gluten Free Watchdog we’ve been contacted numerous times about products that look "not quite right" to consumers. Sometimes these products test gluten-free and sometimes they don't. Products reported to GFWD include various brands of gluten-free pasta containing errant pasta pieces of a different shape, numerous brands of legumes containing errant grains, and a particular brand of gluten-free pretzels that has been reported to GFWD by consumers multiple times. For more information see https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/snyders-of-hanover-annies-and-all-gluten-free-manufacturers-what-is-your-protocol-for-addressing-consumer-complaints/ and https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/sometimes-that-not-quite-right-looking-gluten-free-food-turns-out-to-be-gluten-free/
If you open a gluten-free product and it doesn’t look right, please consider taking the following steps:
- Contact the manufacturer
- If you are asked to return the remaining product, make sure the manufacturer puts in writing that they will test the sample for gluten, advise you of the results, and retain any remaining sample
Do not send the entire product back to the manufacturer
- Put a small amount in a clearly marked unused zip-lock bag
- Take photos of the product packaging and the product, including the lot number, best by date, and UPC code
- Contact your local FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator
- A listing is available at https://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaProblem/ConsumerComplaintCoordinators/
- If the product is certified gluten-free, contact the certifying agency
If you need help, please reach out.
Complete Test Results
No test results released at this time.